All the official visitors of the Czech Republic, such as presidents and delegates, are welcomed in the state rooms of the New Palace at the Prague Castle. The decorative rooms are also the place, where official meetings and important events take place. Some of the rooms were used by Czech rulers already in the 16 th century. The most beautiful state rooms, such as the Spanish Hall, are adorned with splendid chandeliers, various gilded decorations and mirrors.
State rooms are situated in the first floor of the New Palace, which is the complex of buildings surrounding the 2 nd Prague Castle courtyard. A Rococo staircase by Pacassi leads to the rooms from the Matthew Gate between the 1 st and 2 nd Prague Castle courtyards.
Old Salons – rooms for special occasions
The Old Salons have partly preserved their original state. The Thrown Hall is the place, where official designations, welcoming foreign guests and gala dinners take place. There is a painting depicting coronation of Ferdinand V. as a Bohemian King in 1836, made by Viennese painter L. Budner in 1847. The floor is covered by Persian carpets.
The Habsburg Salon still looks as it did at the end of the 18 th century. There are Rococo chairs and a table and the walls are embellished with portraits of the Imperial family from the 18 th century: you can see for example the Empress Maria Theresa there, her husband Ferdinand Lorraine, Emperors Joseph II. and Leopold II., French King Louis XVI., his wife Marie Antoinetta, Emperor Francis II. and others. Most of the paintings were made by Viennese court artist Johann Karl Auerbach.
The Mirror Salon is an eating room for special occasions. The walls of this Rococo room are decorated with mirrors and gilded ornaments. The fireplace is made of white marble and the large Persian carpet on the floor is from 1854.
In the Music Salon you can see two Brussels tapestries from the 17 th century. There are four continents illustrated as women on the tapestries: Asia and Europe on one of them and America and Africa on the other one. There is a Rococo tile stove and a cast of the Night sculpture by M. B. Braun in the Music Salon.
Rudolph Gallery and the Spanish Hall
The Rudolph Gallery was built at the end of the 16 th century by U. Aostalli. During the reign of the Emperor Rudolph II. there were many precious paintings kept. They used to be situated at the sides of the hall. The gallery was modified in the 19 th century and it was decorated with pseudo-Renaissance reliefs and mirrors.
The large Spanish Hall is beautifully decorated and it is used for important political and social events. It was built in the beginning of the 17 th century in the era of Rudolph II., who had the best sculptures of his collections placed here.
The New Salons by the Wide Corridor were modified in the 20 th century and they are called after important Czech artists, whose works are placed there: the Manes Salon, Chitussi Salon, Purkyne Salon, Cermak Salon and Navratil Salon.
When to visit the state rooms
The state rooms at the Prague Castle used to be open to the public only exceptionally. This was changed by the former president Vaclav Havel, who had many historical places at the Prague Castle restored and made accessible. He decided, that the state rooms will be accessible to visitors twice a year: in May, when the anniversary of liberation from fascism is celebrated, and at the end of October, the time of anniversary of the independent republic Czechoslovakia.