The Lobkowicz Palace at the Prague Castle used to be a residence of the noble family of Lobkowicz. Various concerts and exhibitions are held there nowadays and you will find also a restaurant there, with a terrace providing a panoramic view over Prague.
The Lobkowicz Palace was built in the 16 th century by the noble family of Pernstein. It was a Renaissance building with four tracts and it was decorated with statues made of burnt clay, a typical decoration of Pernsteins. It was called Pernstein Palace at the time.
The Lobkowicz family gained the palace in the 17 th century thanks to family relations. After a big fire, they rebuilt it in a terse Early Baroque style. The two-storey Lobkowicz Palace with a simple frontage has two courtyards and some remains of Renaissance sgraffitoes and burnt clay decorations.
Interior of the Lobkowicz Palace
The most valuable parts of the interior are the two halls with fireplaces from the 17 th century. They have ceilings decorated with stuccoes and paintings from the same era, inspired by anthic mythology. There is also a chapel from the 17 th century, preserved in its original state. It is dedicated to St. Wenceslas and there are medallions with pictures, representing the St. Wenceslas legend.
The palace was confiscated from the family of Lobkowicz by the communist regime in 1948. It was restored and a historical exhibition of the National Museum in Prague was placed there in the ´80s.
Collections of the Lobkowicz family
The exhibition was closed in January 2006 and the palace was given back to the family of Lobkowicz, who run the restaurant there now. There is also a private museum of the Lobkowicz family.